We love black beans. We buy organic black beans in the can pretty often for about $1 a can. This week we decided to buy the beans dried at our local grocery store. One small bag was under $2 and makes about 3 cans worth. This is a much better deal, people! Make your own beans!
BENEFIT: We put the ingredients we want in them, we don’t have to worry about BPA lining in the cans, and we can even freeze the leftovers.
5 Easy Steps to Crockpot Beans:
- Rinse and sort beans. Take out any rocks, hard pieces, or floating skins.
- Place beans in crockpot, cover with water, and let soak at least 6 hours.
- Empty water, rinse beans again, and cover with water (at least 2 or 3 inches above beans.)
- Place the cover back on and cook on low for 8 hours in the crockpot.
- The beans are done when they are tender.
Optional: add a diced onion and a diced jalapeno for even more flavor. (We do this every time we make beans.)
Voila! Great beans to use in your recipes just like you would use canned. Easy, cheaper, and tastier in my opinion.
We made these for lunch this week, mashed them, and made burritos.