Alternatives to Halloween

Pin It

alternatives to halloween

Far from a post on why Halloween is “bad” or “wrong” for Christians, I simply want to share with you alternatives to Halloween that you can do with your children. This year Halloween falls on a seminar night for my family. We will be studying God’s word that night. So I wanted to find some fun things I could do with my Princess as alternatives to Halloween, costumes, and trick or treating.

alternatives to halloween

source

1. Attend a Fall Festival – the local farm is having their 40th anniversary and hosting a Fall Festival from the 29th through the 31st. This is a great alternative to Halloween.

alternatives to halloween

source

2. Bake together as a family – there are so many things that can be made during the Autumn season. Fun cupcakes are just one of the many things you can find while searching Pinterest.

alternatives to halloween

source

3. Craft Time – my Princess is always ready to do crafts with mommy. Crafting is such a fun learning time and this Owl Craft is just one example of fun we can have together. We made a paper bag owl craft recently and my Princess loved it.

alternatives to halloween

source

4. Family Pumpkin Carving – buy pumpkins and have a pumpkin carving contest in your family. Try all kinds of fun pumpkin faces. Family Fun and DLTK have great carving ideas. You can also carve Christian icons on your pumpkin and discuss how Jesus is the light of the world with your children.

alternatives to halloween

source

5. Annual Family Movie Night Party – pick a family friendly movie and have a movie night party. This would be a great way to also invite family and friends as another great alternative to Halloween.

alternatives to halloween

source

6. Hand out Christian Halloween Gospel Tracts – kids are going to be ringing your doorbell if you stay home, so why don’t you attach some of these tracts, or make your own, to those candy. Hand out candy and a bit of Good News.

What other ideas do you have as alternatives to Halloween for your kids?

I’d love to hear more!

Pin It

Comments

1. says

This is great! We love Fall Festivals and I am beyond thrilled that ours falls ON Halloween! Trick or Treating can sometimes be scary for little ones. (and big ones!)

• LaVonne says

That is great Gena. We also love a great Fall Festival. There is one from the 29th thru the 31st here and I think we will try to make it.

2. says

Some great ideas! Though for the last one – if someone doesn’t want to participate in Halloween leave the outdoor light off… most kids won’t ring the bell if the light isn’t on or there’s no Halloween decorations in the yard.

3. says

Really cute ideas. There are all sorts of festivals and fun kid things to do in lots of places that aren’t exactly the typical trick or treating. We did so many while my son was young and didn’t care too much about this holiday.

4. says

Love the owl cupcakes. Super cute idea. I like the idea of at least letting the kids go to a festival so they aren’t missing out on the fun, even if they aren’t allowed to go trick or treating. And I agree with Darcy on just turning the lights out. It’s common knowledge that if a light is off they aren’t participating, and it’s the best way imo.

5. says

Love the ideas! On Halloween our family hosts a praise party. We plan activities based around scripture, have a pot luck and hand out goody bags with scriptures written on them to the trick or treaters. Last year we read the scripture about keep me as the apple of your eye, then we made caramel apples, we also read the scripture about Jesus being our light in a dark word, then we did a scavenger hunt for candy in the yard with flashlight. :)

Trackbacks