The Birth Center

Pin It

Part Two of Natural Childbirth – our birthing story.

After waking up in the early morning hours and realizing that yes, I was in labor, I was excited. That morning as I lounged in pajamas, I ate some curried vegetables with rice (leftovers) and walked around the house.

My husband and I meticulously recorded each contraction. As they got closer together and more  painful, I secretly wondered if I could do this naturally or not.

At 1pm when the contractions were regularly coming 2 minutes apart, we decided to make the 45 minute drive down to our Birth Center. I stopped on the porch with a pillow under my arm and took a photo.

The drive was not comfortable and I could not wait to see my midwife and have my baby. When I walked in the front door, the midwife told me later, that she knew I was not ready to deliver yet. She could just tell. As I laid on the table for my exam, she told me the most depressing news – I was only 2 cm and I could stay at 2cm for days. Go home.

As tears ran down my face, I was frustrated. I was already in pain at 2cm and didn’t know if I could drive all the way home and endure this for 2 days! But I went home around 3pm, sad yet determined to pull through.

Trying to get rest was difficult. They always say to rest, but the contractions and being hugely pregnant just made rest impossible. At around 4:30pm I decided to get in the bath tub. My contractions were getting harder and more painful and I remember laying in the bath tub and rolling from side to side with my eyes closed. I did this for a little over an hour while my husband dutifully kept the water warm and rubbed my back. When the moans started becoming screams, my husband knew – it was time. And if it wasn’t time, we would get a hotel room right near the Birth Center.

I couldn’t even get out of the tub without his help. I couldn’t get my clothes on without his help either. When I sat down to go the bathroom, I saw blood and got scared. I quickly thought – “I am just going to the hospital 15 minutes away. I can’t do this!” But my loving husband said, “You’ll regret it. Come on, let’s go, we can do this!”

So in an almost crawl I made it in the car. That 45 minute drive became only 30 minutes, while I was yelling and moaning. {Mainly yelling for my husband to slow down!} And I consistently said, “Help me, Jesus!”, over and over again. {I am smiling when I write this now, but it was  miserable drive.}

I barely made it through the front door of the birth center. No cutesy pictures, no make up touch ups, I was haggard, and ready to give birth. While the midwife checked me out, she had a beaming smile and said, “Good job, mommy! You did it. You are fully effaced and 9 cm!”

Seeing the midwife and my doula and being in the Birth Center, relaxed me and I knew I’d be okay. I went back to the birthing room and tried the birthing stool, which I did not like. I sat on a ball – not comfortable either. Then I just laid on the queen sized bed on my side and started pushing. My Princess was born at 7:52 pm. My husband caught her and cut the cord. As tears poured down my face, and my husband called our family members, my Princess breast fed right away. By 11pm, I was able to go the bathroom, and go home. We packed up and slept in our own family bed that night.

It was a great experience. Truly.

Pregnant

Here are 3 things I would do differently if I could:

1. Booked a hotel room close to the Birth Center instead of going home.
  2. Headed back down to see the midwife much sooner, instead of laboring alone at home.
  3. Filmed the birth with a video camera.

With this second baby, I am using a midwife again. But I am going to have this baby at our local county hospital. I think, labor will be quicker with this one, and I just want to relax in a newly remodeled birthing center at the hospital and enjoy cable television and rest. I hope that is how it goes. I am sure I will blog all about it when the time comes!

Do you have a birth story? Share with me the link. I’d love to come by and read yours.

Don’t forget to read Part 1: Natural Childbirth

Pin It

Comments

1. says

Props to you on a natural birth! That is great! And sounds like your birth center experience was perfect! I attempted with my son (2nd child) to do an at home water birth with my midwives. All was well until the little guy had other plans (after a good 14-15 hours of laboring!) We had to make that horrible drive to the hospital as well (there are still broken pieces in the van!) and unfortunately, I had to have a c-section. I would love to try the water birth experience again, but we shall see!

• LaVonne says

Wow, Leila, that is a good long labor. I know that must have been disappointing to have to get the C-Section. But, for the next one you hopefully you can do it differently.

Broken pieces in the van? LOL!

2. Melanie says

I you would have booked a hotel room, you wouldn’t have had the comforts of your own home and may not have wanted to use the bathtub in the hotel! With Ben, I walked into the delivery area of the hospital and they said I wasnt ready. I had to tell them that this was my 4th baby and even act like I was in more pain. Luckily my neighbor and delivery nurse beat me to the hospital and had a room ready for me. I was only 4 cm, but made it to 10 in less than an hour. I go quickly, but it’s very intense. And Sean knew I was in labor even before I did!! My hand was shaking while I was eating dinner and he called everyone telling them I was in labor. I labored at the hospital with all of them, wish I could of had a home birth, but the hot shower at the hospital never ran out of hot water and it was so soothing on my back during contractions. I also felt that the birthing ball made me go quicker, I just rocked back and forth while I was in the shower.

• LaVonne says

That is a fast labor, Melanie. Wow! I think this one will be quicker for me too. Which is great. They don’t do a water birth in the hospital but they do have a tub and shower I can use.

3. Amy B says

I can’t wait to see what your next birth is like! My second baby was so much faster and so much easier. SO MUCH!!!! You will be shocked at how much easier this one is :-) Can’t wait to hear it all!!!!! I have rapid births so I have to be careful not to waste time getting to the hospital. I only labored for 45 min. with Jayce then pushed him out in one push. You will love it if you video tape the birth. I have Jayce’s delivery on tape (not from the “birth” view though) and I adore watching it! It makes me cry every single time!

• LaVonne says

I am excitedly looking forward to this baby’s entrance into the world. And yes, I do want to film it (not from the “birth” view either, LOL!)

4. says

What a beautiful birth story! I had all 3 naturally and can’t imagine doing it any other way, each contraction was powerful and painful but I knew it would end in a beautiful baby,and it got me through. I made myself smile between each contraction to remind myself that I got through another one!

• LaVonne says

Well, I definitely was not smiling Isra :) But quickly forgot how much it hurt when I was holding my Princess. It didn’t scar me too badly since now I am pregnant again!

5. says

I have a friend who is due and August and plans to have an at-home birth with a midwife. I’ll have to pass along your blog! I’m following you back from the hop! Hope you have a great week!!

• LaVonne says

Thank you for coming by Angie. I appreciate it. And you are right, it can be scary when you don’t know what to expect. Thankfully our bodies know what to do :)

6. says

I prefer a mid-wife as well. Glad it was such a good experience for you. It’s something you will never forget, so don’t worry about the video :)

• LaVonne says

Thanks, Deedra. You’re right, I won’t forget it. We did take photographs after she was born and I have a lovely scrapbook to look at.

7. says

when my epidural wore off for my second kids birth, *note* JUST in time for the baby to start crowning (stupid midwives!!!!!!!!), It nearly killed me so kudos to being able to do it naturally!!

8. says

My thirs baby was a natural delivery with MIDWIFE. I think that makes a huge difference vs. an OBGYN. I loved it and would do it again. Be thankful for birth centers where you live. In my state we JUST opened our very first birth center a few months ago.

• LaVonne says

I am glad you now have the option of a birth center. They really are great. Mine was across the street from the hospital so I felt safe going to it.

9. says

Oh, my little one wanted to hang out indefinitely in the warmth of the womb, so I had to get her out lol
    No, really, she had the umblical cord wrapped around her neck and arm, so we had to go for the c-section.
    I’m sorry I missed it.

10. says

Wow, what a great story! I live 45 minutes from the hospital I delivered in as well, and they told me to come when contractions were 15 minutes apart. Thank goodness I did, because my daughter was born 20 minutes after my arrival at the hospital!

• LaVonne says

Was your 45 minute drive as miserable as mine? LOL! 20 minutes to spare? Wow! Good thing you went when you did. I’d hate to deliver in a car!

11. says

I can’t decide if I should cry our laugh when reading this? I have been with 4 kids and all 4 were completely different. I did 3 naturally like you but my 3rd one I got an epidural as it was all back labor and after getting it I vowed I would never get one again!

12. Jollyjilly says

I so wish you luck . Both mine were quick under 4 hrs my last baby was 26 years ago lol. Sure it will be wonderful

13. says

Wow,it seems like the labor part went really slow, but once your Princess decided she was ready, she came zooming out! My son was a preemie and I had an emergency c-section, so I didn’t really have the option for a non-medicated birth. I always wonder if I would have gone natural or taken the epidural if given the choice. Knowing me and pain, I wouldn’t have made it five minutes without begging for drugs.

14. says

I love to hear about natural birthing stories. I want to try it (my mom had 4 natural births) but I’m nervous. I don’t have a high pain tolerance. Thanks for sharing your story!

• LaVonne says

I was nervous too, Jaime. But so glad I did it. It was painful, I won’t lie. But I forgot all about the pain when my Princess was born. The recovery time was so easy too. I didn’t feel pain really at all the next day. It was very nice going home after the birth and sleeping in my own bed.

15. says

Beautiful! I love birth stories! How disappointing to be only at 2cm but your body did work very wonderfully getting to 9cm in such a short period of time! I can still remember the trip to the hospital with my second. What a morning! LOL! My water broke and I knew we’d be leaving for the hospital soon but first I wanted to take a shower. That’s when the main line to our plumbing decided to back up and so I had to take a shower in four inches of water that wouldn’t go down the drain. Had to call the plumber but finally got on our way. It was a 45 minute drive. We got there around 10am and my son was born at 2:47pm. We were home by 11pm. I’d tell you the story of my first born but it’s a longer story. :-) Thanks for sharing your story with us.

• LaVonne says

Wow. What bad timing, Starlene. I am glad you made it in time though. I love reading birth stories too. I also like that show on TLC that shares birth stories. :) Thanks for coming by and commenting. I appreciate it.

16. says

Congrats on a healthy and natural birth. Both of our children were C-sections. Our oldest was breach, no laboring at all with her. Our son came a day before the scheduled C-section so I did experience some labor pains with him. The contractions were mild compared to your description and I thought they were awful! They actually caused my uterus to tear so had we tried to go naturally things could’ve ended tragically. I’m happy to say the C-section went perfectly and everyone is happy and healthy!You can read his birth story here, http://oureventualhomestead.com/2012/01/abrahm-ellis-a-birth-story/

• LaVonne says

Britni, I am glad things worked out. Wow! A torn uterus? That sounds painful. You must have a high pain tolerance. I am heading to your birth story now!

17. says

Oh you are my hero! I was more from the Big Sooks School of birthing, after five hours I screamed for an epidural. I was 41.2 weeks pregnant and the little treasure didn’t seem to have any ideas of moving anywhere. We had to suck her out of there in the end. I hope what they say is true and “2 comes easier. I’m 20 weeks gone so there is no turning back now!

• LaVonne says

Lou Lou, at 39 weeks I was so ready for my Princess to come out. I can’t imagine going until 42 weeks! I am hoping #2 is easier too. Good luck with your pregnancy too.

Blessings!

18. says

Wonderful story! My first child took over 30 hours to arrive, but then my twins only took 6 :) I was blessed to deliver boy/girl twins at 38 weeks, no c section and baby b was feet first. It’s amazing what our bodies were made to do :)

• LaVonne says

30 hours? I can’t imagine labor lasting that long. It is amazing what our bodies can do. Thanks for coming by, Mary.

19. says

Good job. I had 3 births. The first I was basically out, second, Doc was in the way of the mirror. And third pain was not bad enough til too late for drugs, so natural.

20. says

Love birth stories! I’m half way through my third pregnancy. The first two were unmedicated hospital births and this time we’re looking forward to a birth center birth! :) I’m thankful that our drive is only 15-20 minutes – the car trips have been the worst part of labor for me so far!

• LaVonne says

Congratulations on your 3rd Anjanette! This next one for me will be a hospital birth. But I did enjoy my birth center experience. I hope yours is wonderful. 15-20 minutes is not too bad at all.

Blessings!

21. says

I had an epidural with my first daughter and it took all the pain away. The birth was really smooth. with my second daughter I went in to labor so fast that there was no time for an epidural. It was so painful, felt like it lasted forever.

• LaVonne says

I am using Comment Luv free plugin. In the settings it allows you to add the Twitter box. I like that option. Thanks for coming by. I sure appreciate it.

22. says

you are braver than I! I just can’t imagine giving birth at home vs. a hospital with a whole staff to cater to me, lol! I’m a baby when I’m having a baby!

• LaVonne says

I am looking a little forward to the hospital this time. Just so I can rest and watch tv. But I go back and forth. Sometimes, I want to see if I can do it at a Birth Center again. I think of the hospital as a place to go when you are sick, not to have a baby. Decisions, Decisions…

23. says

With my first child I ended up having an epidural I was having awful back pain as she was sunny side up when delivered. They tried t turn her but they were unsuccessful. It was still only 8 hours in the hospital in labor. I had my husband and my cousin with me who had adopted her daughter after surviving cancer as a child. It was wonderful to have her there to experience it with us. With my second child I was determined to not have anything this time. They labor was progressing much more quickly. I was at a 2 and within two hours I was holding my son. At this birth I had my sister who has no children and my step-mom who has no children of her own. Again it was wonderful to share this with both of them.

• LaVonne says

That is nice, Shelly, to be able to share the event with family. I think this time we will let my 4 year old, my sister and mother be in the room with us. It was nice when it was just the two of us though.

24. Jeanette says

My birth story is pretty basic, sort of. Definitely too long to post in a comment, so I might just write a post about it!

25. says

wow that is amazing. I was to scared to try that and so was my husband with your son which I am glad we did not try as we both had problems and almost ended up dying so the hospital was the right place for us.

26. says

Very nice story. I wish I had been able to deliver naturally but alas it was not to be. During labor with my first child we had serious complications that resulted in a c-section were I lost too much blood and almost lost my life. Thankfully I decided to try again and we now have 3 beautiful children- all delivered by c-section. But that is okay– we all came out healthy!

• LaVonne says

Kerry, I am glad you survived! And now 3 children! Wonderful. What a blessing. Healthy is what I want the most too! We are praying daily for a healthy pregnancy, birth and baby. :)

27. says

beautiful birth story!!

i’d still love to try one, although it won’t happen for me. i have to have c sections (and the baby and i almost didn’t make it through my last birth, she was a double footling and i had complications)

28. says

With my second son…contractions started at 5:30am and I gave birth to him at 8:06 am. When I arrived at the hospital I was at 9cm and too late to get any drugs. It was my second time arriving at the hospital ready to push. I wanted drugs though :( I just dialate too fast. They said if I had another they weren’t sure I’d make it there since it has gotten faster everytime.

29. says

Wow. What a story. Glad you made back to the hospital in time. I have a friend who had her baby on the sidewalk in front of the hospital. I didn’t start my blog until my older son was 5 (I should write his story while I still remember it…), but I did write one for my now-3-year-old. http://www.livinglearninglovinglife.com/2008/07/its-a-boy.html I don’t mention in the post how hateful and rude the doctor was. I used a midwife the first time around, but there were various reasons I used a doctor for the second one. I really wish I hadn’t. :-(

• LaVonne says

Amanda, I am heading over to read your story next. Thanks for linking it up. Crazy that your friend had the baby on the sidewalk. That is the first time I have heard that happen. I am glad all 3 midwives the hospital uses are great. I love them all.

30. says

Wow, what a story! I have 2 children…with the first one I had to be induced, and ended up taking some IV drugs, which I greatly regretted (I had wanted the birth to be natural, but she was pretty late and they were worried about her). The second time I was determined to have a natural birth, although I did choose to go to a hospital because of complications with my first. My labor took a long time, and despite the doctor offering me pitocin many times that day to speed things up, I kept it natural. I walked, sat on the ball, you name it, to get things going. I ended up having him 16 hours later, completely natural, and I admit that I felt proud of myself!

• LaVonne says

It is a proud feeling, Erin. That was a long labor you had! Wow! I am hoping not to take pitocin even. I will have to talk to my midwife and see what they normally do. Since I had my first quickly though, I imagine my second will be quicker. We’ll see.

31. says

Congratulations. I’m still single. Reading your post is somewhat scary. LOL… But I know the pain is nothing when you see your baby.

32. says

Enjoyed reading your story. I have had 3 births, 3 c sections. The first was failure to progress and was meconium stained. The next two I opted for repeat c sections by choice after my doctor gave me the information about my choices. I am not sure what I would do if I were to do it again. Good luck on the next one.

33. says

Congratulations! Having had an epi with my first and 2 NCBs after that, I am a big proponent of NCB. I recovered much faster, both physically and emotionally, after the NCBs. I didn’t have medical issues with any of them, though, which of course is an entirely different situation.

34. says

What a great post! I love the extra tips that you put in for those that haven’t had children yet. A life changing event, that’s for sure.

suzy

35. says

So wonderful. I always wanted to try natural childbirth but was too chicken. I was afraid I would not be able to take the pain. Then, as if God laughed, my epidural failed with the birth of our last child… THREE epidurals failed. I remember crying, “Help me Jesus!!” Now, I can hardly remember the pain. Wish I had labored at home instead of being stuck in a hospital bed. Kudos to you!

36. says

Wow, am I really that old??? I delivered all three of my children naturally. The only drug that was given was during the episiotomy (sp) so I couldn’t feel them cut me. As if I could at that point. I felt every contraction. I guess I am very old fashioned, I dont like the thought of ultrasounds telling the sex either. It is like knowing what is in a present that God sent you before you open it. I can honestly say that I am glad that portion of my life has past and I can stand firmly in my memories. May you have a blessed Sunday!

• LaVonne says

Thanks for coming by, Laurie. With ultrasounds, I can’t not know. It is my personality. I want to be prepared ;) I am itching to head home and go through all my bins that contain girl’s clothes now and consign them. And now looking on Craigslist for boys baby gear. LOL!

37. says

That is great that you got to have your child naturally. I wasn’t that brave and had no idea what to expect. I like hearing about birth stories because everyone’s is so different.

38. says

Thanks for sharing your birth story with us. I think you are wise to stay nearby the hospital in a hotel if you have another child. And bravo to you for having a natural childbirth. I did with mine and I think it is the best start for babies to have an unmedicated start in life.

39. says

WOW! Your birth story is exactly what I wanted, but got the opposite. You are awfully brave to give birth at a center on your first! So awesome that you got to sleep in your own bed by 11pm! Amazing! So happy for you!

40. says

Well you are much braver woman than I! With my daughters, I had an epidural for both. I did go at least halfway through both without it, though!

We had our daughters at a teaching hospital connected with our local university’s medical group. I loved knowing I was helping future doctors learn about the whole birthing process. Both times I was swarmed with doctors watching over me and learning.

• LaVonne says

Wow! 5 kids? I am trying to figure out what 2 will be like. I am a bit scared to say the least. Thank you for linking your birth story. I am heading there next.

41. says

Thanks for sharing your story. I plan on having my baby with midwives at a local hospital-all natural…so with only a few weeks to go, this is encouraging! :)

42. says

Thanks for sharing your story! I gave birth to my daughter at home (with a midwife and doula there). Honestly, if I had been at a hospital I would have demanded an epidural, but since I was at home I had no choice. :)
    -Viva recently posted Homemade Pizza Dough

43. says

i would have done a mid wife if i could have done it all over again! child birth is such a wonderous miracle. how special it is truly

44. says

I actually got my 2nd, lightening-fast labor published in a national pregnancy magazine in 2007! But alas, no link for it. Both my kids were natural and both my kids’ labors were IDENTICAL to my mom’s. That’s something I wish was more common knowledge out there–I mean, my first wacko experience and my 2nd fast experience were just like my mom’s. I think there may be a genetic component to our labors. :)

45. says

I am fascinated by home birth (or using a mid wife at a birth center). I was clueless about such things when I had my babies at hospitals. If I could do it again, I think I would give this method a try!!! It’s fun to hear share our birthing stories….

46. says

What a great story. I’ve had five children…all natural, except for the last, which is why I didn’t have six children! Every one is different. I think that’s why they call it a labor of love…good luck on your second delivery. May it be all you hope it to be and produce a healthy, happy child!

47. says

Thanks for sharing your story. I had a home birth (by choice) with my first, which went well. The only thing I didn’t like was that, when things weren’t progressing, my husband went back to bed (in a different room) while I was laying there in pain! He was right, of course, because he was much more useful fully awake when the crucial time came!

48. says

I also used a midwife and gave birth at a birthing center. I labored at home for 12 hours before going to the birthing center. I labored most of the time on my knees or hands and knees until I finally got in the tub. I could not lay down, it was the most uncomfortable position for me! I will definitely do it all again! Good work, I’m glad you stuck with what you wanted to do! I hope the next one goes smoothly!

49. says

My birth story in a shortened version. #1 I went into labor on my due date #2 My water broke 6 weeks early #3 I had to be induced because she was late Proof that you never know what is going to happen!! :)

50. says

Good for you with going for natural labor! I was induced and had a very fast labor, but barely remember any of it (other than bringing her home of course) :) Thanks for sharing your story!!

51. says

All three of my children were delivered by a Certified Nurse Midwife, they are a midwife with a bit more medical training so they can prescribe medication if needed. I Love them and I don’t’ think I will ever use a regular OB DOC.

Congrats on your little beautiful princess!

• LaVonne says

My first was a CNM too as well as a Nurse Practitioner. I am using 3 CNM right now with our county hospital. They are all great. {I get all three since I don’t know who will be on call when this baby is ready to come out!}

Thanks for coming by!

52. says

Good idea for the second baby. My first birth was 3 days and my second one 5 hours, it would be terrible if you got stuck somewhere.

53. says

That’s wonderful you were able to give birth naturally! I’ve done it with my last 2 kids and plan on it with this one. I’ve always used a hospital though, and just love being able to relax there for a day or two before going home and back to real life.
    With my last I was a week late. Instead of using medicine to induce, my ob just broke my water. 2 hours later I went from nothing to having a brand new baby. Most wonderful experience ever!

54. says

I initially said that I wanted to try for a natural birth, but it didn’t take me long to throw that out the window. I think that my lack of planning and truly voicing what I wanted to do to an understanding doctor – better yet, midwife – was my first mistake. I loved reading both parts of your story and I would love to have a story of my own. My story consists of my husband showing his a** throughout the day and my entire family and all of my friends having a betting party in the lobby. I was supposed to have my baby shower on the day my son was born so everyone I knew was in that waiting room. :)

• LaVonne says

On your baby shower, huh? That is funny. At least you had a lot of support. I am excited to see how this birth turns out. Since, I will be in a hospital with a midwife, It will be interesting to compare experiences.

55. says

I haven’t posted my exact birth story but I posted things that were helpful to me, including the class and doula I took to help me prepare for my natural birth so you can read about that here: http://mommykangaroo.blogspot.com/2011/05/pregnant-mamas-guide-to-peace.html

I will have to share my birth story photo book that I made soon on my blog because I’ve had people ask me to share my birthing experience, which I describe as “enjoyable-not painless, but enjoyable!” I think amongst all my friends, I’ve had the most unique and pleasant birthing experience! Good luck with baby #2, go in there with confidence and I feel attitude is what helps the most in birthing!

Trackbacks