Did you know that our family keeps the Sabbath?
Now that we have a toddler we try very hard to make this the best day of the week. It is a day we don’t worry about shopping, television shows, cleaning, or bills. It really is our Special Day.
It is the day we not only spend time with God and fellowship with other Christians but also a day for family and spending time in nature – God’s creation.
We took advantage of the sunshine this last weekend. (We are in California during the winter, my friends!) For days our Princess has been asking to feed birds. Since we are not too far right now from Lake Mendocino in Northern California we decided to get our heels (bread heels, I mean) a burned bag of popcorn, and our jackets. Off to the lake we went!
We weren’t sure if the birds would eat the popcorn but they did. And even though the seagulls were bullies, the ducks and other birds also got a bit to eat too.
What fun the Princess had! After feeding the birds all her food, she asked if we had more – not wanting it to end. We told her next Sabbath we’d bring more. Now, she has something to look forward to.
Other outdoor activities that are fun for kids:
- Treasure hunt (have toddlers find a stick, leaf, flower, rock, etc…)
- Hiking (there are many easy hikes that kids love to take)
- Walking or playing with dogs at the pound (I always want to take one home!)
- Garbage clean-up at your favorite park or beach (kids really love helping clean! Don’t forget the gloves and hand sanitizer)
- Bike ride (on safe trails or bike lanes with helmets)
- “Restaurant” – this is one of my Princess’ favorite things. She uses dirt, grass, leaves, sawdust, anything really to pretend to serve food to me.
What outdoor activities do you and your kids like? I love new ideas for our Princess. Please share them with me!