My Princess got a canker sore this last week. She was miserable. It was her first one. Those small little owies can be painful. I wish I could have taken it for her. Don’t you just hate when your children are in pain?
I read that if a parent suffers with canker sores the child has a 90% chance of getting canker sores as well. Since my husband and I both have suffered from canker sores, I figured this must be the reason she got one.
We found some mouth wash that is specifically designed for canker sores and also some gel that numbs the canker sore. Both of these seemed to help with the pain, but unfortunately, did not make the canker sore go away any quicker than normal.
Of course, I decided to Google canker sores and found some great home remedies that I’d like to share with you all. (Just in case you or your children get canker sores too.) A few sites I visited mentioned not using a toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulfate . We do try to eliminate this in the products my Princess uses. But she did recently get a name brand toothpaste from the dentist that contains it. I think I am going to hide it and go back to our natural toothpaste again. Also sites mentioned to avoid spicy and high acid foods during the time you are suffering from a canker sore.
Home Remedies For Canker Sores
- Use goldenseal mouth rinse. In one cup of warm water, mix one quarter teaspoon of salt and one half teaspoon or the contents of one capsule of goldenseal powder (it will not dissolve completely).
- Take a B-100 B complex vitamin supplement daily.
- Mix together equal amounts of Milk of Magnesia or Kaopectate and Benylin or Benadryl. Apply the mixture using a cotton swab and be careful not to swallow any of it. (source)
- Make a paste out of slippery elm powder or take a slippery elm lozenge. (source)
- Rinse your mouth several times a day by a mouthwash prepared by mixing one tsp. of baking soda in half cup of warm water. (source)
Do you have a home remedy for canker sores that you swear by? If so, please share it with me in the comments below.
*Disclosure: The information I am sharing with you is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE.